[OM] G-forces, was Eyecup question (Toric Lenses)

Subject: [OM] G-forces, was Eyecup question (Toric Lenses)
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:36:57 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:
9g, generally, although I once saw a HUD replay by one Capt Ralph
Viets in a 1v1 with a Tomcat that read 10g for a good second or so -
the g limiter must have been out of adjustment.

I recall seeing a television program(me) that followed a couple of pilots through USAF flight school. Maybe this was before better g-suits were available, but the point of the show was that they were having problems with spending substantial time and money training pilots, only to have them fail the 9g test at the end. They were trying to determine if a person's ability to withstand g forces prior to training was at all correlated with their ability after training. One of the two pilots was male, the other female. The male pilot looked like he was going to burst several major blood vessels in his face and neck during the 9g centrifuge test and GLOCed somewhere before 7g. The female made it to 9g, all while looking completely relaxed :)

Are the new suits good enough that a person's innate ability to withstand g forces is no longer so important?

Mark (who's only ever experienced periods of 2g, but got to walk around during them and they were separated by much more fun periods of 0g :)