[OM] Re: E10 anyone (not OT, this is an Olympus list!)

Subject: [OM] Re: E10 anyone (not OT, this is an Olympus list!)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:10:09 -0800
>From: "Sam Shiell" <Sam.Shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Some pictures on retailers sites show the E10 with a lens hood and some
>without. I can't see the lens hood listed either as an accessory or in
>the "what's in the box" ??

The hood reverses for storage on the lens itself. That may explain why some
photos look like it doesn't have a hood -- it's simply reversed. It comes with
it. If it's missing, it takes 62mm filters and accessories.

>The business case (read as "excuse") for getting the E10 is to produce =
>digital images of around 120 people ...so I'd be looking at maybe 300+ =
>shots. What sort of memory would I need to cope with that volume?

It depends on the storage format. You can set it to save a variety of
compression levels and pixel dimensions.

On a 128MB SmartMedia card, my E-20 gets 399 lowest quality JPEGs, 32 highest
quality JPEGs, 13 TIFFs, or 8 RAW images. (Increase by ~20 0.000000or an E-10.)

I use the lowest quality shots for email and web pix, and they work perfectly
well. The highest quality JPEGs make perfectly fine large prints without
noticable JPEG artifacts. The TIFFs and RAW pix are suitable for images that
you're going to do a lot of manipulation to.

Memory is sooo cheap; I wouldn't bother with anything LESS than 128MB for
either slot. I have 128MB in the SmartMedia slot, and 512MB in the Compact
Flash slot. 1GB flash cards are coming soon, at which point the price will drop
on 512MB.

The 512MB card gives me >999 (the counter only goes to 999), 129, 51, and 32
shots, respectively.

Unless you've very careful, I also wouldn't bother with microdrives. They are
prone to shock and vibration damage. I've heard some horror stories. And they
double the average current drain, halving the average battery life.

If you're planning to shot 300+ shots in one session, you might consider the
lithium battery pack. With limited auto-focus use and no flash, I can get about
300-400 shots on 1800mAh AA cells.

If you're handy, it is simple to hake an external battery pack that will last
forever. I got a holder for 5 D cells and an old, huge, cell-phone belt holster
from Radio Shack and five 7500mAh D cells from Thomas Distributing. I have
NEVER run that sucker down, no matter how much I shoot!

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>