Re: [OM] Re: PC Sync, FP flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: PC Sync, FP flash
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:41:30 -0000
Other than to prove a point? none at all! Just following a thread from last
week about alternative uses of an F280. I'm quite happy using one on a 4Ti,
so I have no 'burning' need to try.
The FP contact should fire at about the right time for an F280, however, as
the ramp - up time for the FP bulbs was not a high proportion of the 1/60th
total burn required.
Sorry, but this is more a musing on why Olympus, in seeking to produce an
electronic version of an FP flashbulb, didn't just use FP sync to trigger
it. It would have required minimal additional electronics in the gun to
achieve this (for a fixed intensity). It looks to me like they muddied their
own pond by trying to get clever and cope with two different shutter
mechanisms without user thought, and therefore built the control system into
the various cameras instead of into the flash. If they had made the gun
'universal' they would have sold by the bucketload to non Oly users and
OM1/2 users alike. Would have removed one of the USPs of the 4Ti, but there
were always better reasons than that to buy one and volume wasn't the goal.
OM wonderbrick sales could hardly have got worse, could they?

Julian
Cambs, UK