RE: [OM] LF vs MF - a rebuttal

Subject: RE: [OM] LF vs MF - a rebuttal
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:14:12 -0800

> >AG-Schnozz
> >
> >I'm still waiting for compelling arguments for/against the
> >darkroom or MF purchase.
>
> I don't get it.  You said you did not make giant enlargements.  So
> why are you going toward a more cumbersome system the main advantage
> of which is to make very large prints. Admittedly larger film is more
> fun to work with in a darkroom.

Easier to work with would be more to the point than fun.  Better
enlargements at any size, assuming quality MF lenses, would be more
accurate.

> Are just focussed on the present though? What about 5 years from now
> when no one will be selling 645 film cameras because their quality
> will be exceeded by digital alternatives. I think 645 film will go
> the way of  the instamatic cartridge.

Are you kidding me?  By this logic, 35mm film should be already gone.

> There will always be consumer
> film around,

Why? If digital is so great, why not eliminate all film? Perhaps by next
Tuesday.

> but anyone with pro aspirations is going to learn
> digital. Pro films in any of the smaller sizes will start
> disappearing in the next couple of years and the survivors will be
> very difficult to find and very expensive.

You must be high.

> At that point anyone
> trying to sell their non-digital photos will be looked upon as
> "quaint", retro or just out of touch.

Get real.  *You* are out of touch.

> And certainly when you consider
> the cost of a new darkroom a digital alternative does not seem that
> expensive.

Depends on how good a digital darkroom you want. A 'quaint' one with a
consumer level printer is one thing. But pros would probably need to spend
$5000 or more to get a good printer that will do larger than 13x19. The
computer will be *at least $2000-3000* including a decent monitor.  Don't
forget LOTS of disk space if ALL your work is digital.  Yeah, CD Roms are
good, but they're S-L-O-W and you'll want lots of images at quick disposal.
And what about field work? How many 1 or 2 GByte microdrives do you have to
carry around to equal a dozen rolls of film?  Then of course, there's the
laptop(another $2000) and, again LOTS of storage space. You can buy a whole
lot of sheetrock and 2x4s for this amount of money. And have you compared
the price of inkjet papers/inks to chemical-based enlargements?

> If you are making an investment for this next period in your life I
> think you are going to need to separate your equipment needs for
> professional use and for your love of working with film as an
> avocation.  I really don't think it makes much sense to invest in an
> expensive new film system at this point in time unless you just want
> to coast on what you know for a while and you do not sound like that
> kind of person.  Think about it.  What would you tell a young
> photographer with talent to do if he wanted to set the world on fire.
> Film?  I doubt it.

Please follow your own advice and immediately post all your film equipment
for sale at instamatic prices.

George