Re: [OM] Siren Song--Which will it be

Subject: Re: [OM] Siren Song--Which will it be
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:01:53 -0800 (PST)
Lot's of questions have been raised about my level of sanity
when it comes to the new Medium Format or New Darkroom question.

Let me clarify a few factoids which may help matters a little.
(Doubtful, but it's worth a shot)

1. I already have a darkroom setup.  I've got three enlargers
and a work area which really isn't all that bad.  Biggest
problem is that it has a window which I can never keep covered
enough to work in the middle of the day without constant
futzing, nor do I have water/drain over in the work area.  And
it doesn't have a wall/door seperating it from the rest of the
basement.  Electrical supply is great, I've got a solid
workbench--albiet kinda small for a couple of enlargers, timers
and trays.  If I'm using my large trays I've got to evacuate one
of the enlargers.  As an interim solution, I could just get a
big banquet table for 35 bucks.  Not too bad of an idea,
actually.  By removing the wet stuff from the workbench, I could
have all three enlargers setup without hassle.  I can and do
currently make prints up to 16x20.  No, it's strictly B&W today
and with digital scanning/editing/printing I doubt that I'll get
back into Ilfochromes.  I do still have my drum roller
equipment, though.

2. Regarding 4x5.  Ah!  What a sight those trannies and negs
are.  I could be convinced to go that direction if given the
right influence.  One of the enlargers just happens to be a 4x5.
Unfortunately/fortunately I don't have any 4x5 friends here in
the cornbelt.  I have 4x5 experience (Dad's Crown Graphic) and
really like the format.  But the working methods/speed and don't
forget cost, are not necessarily my "ideal" approach.  I did
make the mistake of picking up a Toyo CF field camera.  Yowza!
That thing is almost as light as my OM.  Slightly flimzy, but
nearly perfect for field work.  Stop it!  Stop it!  NOT an
option....   Grrr...

3. Regarding used equipment/older MF systems.  Been there, done
that.  I used to have a Mamiya 645, Mamiya C220 and a Mamiya
Super-23.  So, I've gone through 645, 6x6 and 6x7.  Frankly, in
the darkroom, 645 gives me all the image quality I need for the
print sizes I do (no murals yet).  Up to 16x20, 645 really is
fine.  The difference between 35mm and 645 (image quality) is
huge.  The difference between 645 and 6x7 is incremental. 4x5 is
another story, though.  I hated the viewfinder in the Mamiya 645
as it was too dim and hard to focus.  The C220 has gut-wrenching
ergonomics.  The Super-23 has the rangefinder which just doesn't
work for my eyes.  I'm a WYSIWYG person.

4. I want an autofocus system.  This is a critical must-have.
However, I'd like the flexibility of taking older manual-focus
lenses for special focal lengths.  (auto-focus fisheyes are
kinda a waste).  I want wonderbrick exposure modes,
auto-bracketing, and film imprinting.  I want a system that is
compact, relatively lightweight and works with my method of
thinking.  Since I've "been there, done that" I see no reason to
get a "starter system".  As a professional, I must make the leap
and commit.  Yes, backup equipment is part of the plan.

5. Style of shooting/subject matter.  This is rather
interesting. I do shoot the occasional wedding and portrait
session. For these, 35mm just doesn't cut it.  The negative size
is just too small.  Film is as good as it has ever been, but it
still isn't good enough.  Frankly, if ALL I did was shoot
weddings and portraits I'd be going digital.  But that is where
part II comes in.  Like many of you, I shoot nature types of
subjects, scenics, landscapes, close-ups and a hodgepodge of
other miscellaneous things.  And, I make an income at it!!!!
There is NO WAY I could go digital for field work, yet.  I shoot
bunches of B&W and Velvia/Provia (I'm leaning back towards
Velvia again).

6. Reasons to build a new darkroom:  "Clean-room" environment
with environmental controls. Water/drain. Ambient light control.
Dedicated work areas. Counter space. Ventilation. Separate room
so the girls get to use the basement while I'm in the darkroom.

7. Reasons to get a new MF system:  Larger negs/trannies,
wonderbrick functionality and features, data imprinting (very
important feature to me), high-quality lenses, auto-focus.  The
film size is the primary driving factor.

8. Why Pentax and Contax?  The ergonomics of the Mamiya just
doesn't work for me.  I am not comfortable holding and using the
Mamiya.  If it doesn't fit my hands and eyes, I'm not going to
be happy with it.  Since AF and SLR are critical features, that
leaves just the Pentax and Contax as doable systems.  The Contax
has the advantage of having interchangeable film backs and
supurb ergonomics (the best of ANY camera I've ever used) but
lacks in the battery frugality department.  You'd think it was a
DSLR the way it consumes expensive Lithium batteries.  The
Pentax takes all of the older A-645 lenses.  Backwards
compatibility means being able to pick up used specialty lenses,
wide-angles and teles.  The cost of Pentax is 1/2 that of the
Contax.  The Pentax has excellent ergonomics (they wrote the
book on MF ergonomics with the original 645 and again with the
67.  Instead of having just one Contax body with 35mm as backup,
I can have two Pentax bodies!  Which is good since it doesn't
have interchangeable film backs.  The Pentax will also use
plain-old AA batteries. (100+ rolls per set).  I'd even consider
getting a 67 and the 645 with the lens adaptor so I can use the
67's lenses on the 645.  That would give me 645 and 6x7!
Neither the Contax nor the Pentax are that big and heavy.  The
lenses might be, but the cameras themselves are not that much
different (just boxier) than wonderbrick 35mms.

9. OM kit availability.  Well, there is an OM-2S, OM-4, 24/2.8,
35/2.8 (special terms for this lens), 50/3.5, 100/2.8, 135/3.5
(special terms for this lens too), 200/4, winders, Vivitar
flash, extension tubes (manual), and a miriad of other oddball
items.  Did I mention the 350/2.8?  Everything is in the
condition that you would expect from being used
semi-professionally.  It's not beat (except for the 24/2.8), but
it's not LNIB either.

10. I still will have at least three other cameras with
"Olympus" stamped on them, so I'm not completely abandoning the
commune.

BTW, anybody else notice that Pentax is jumping into the DSLR
fray?  Hello Olympus?  Anybody home?

AG-yes I'm still crazy-Schnozz