[OM] TTL Auto Shoe Cord Question

Subject: [OM] TTL Auto Shoe Cord Question
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:06:06 -0600
One for the gurus...

I recently purchase a NOS TTL Auto Shoe Cord 0.6m, and have some questions about how it seems to operate...

I originally purchased the shoe cord to be able to use a BG2 with my OM-2n (because I came across it before finding an Autoconnector 4)... When I hooked everything up (Shoe 4, Auto Shoe Cord, BG2 and T32) I got a flash ready light in the viewfinder, but no exposure confirmation on the flash nor in the viewfinder when triggered. Thinking it might be the OM-2n or the Shoe 4, I switched the shoe cord to my OM-2s, and found that now I got correct exposure confirmation in the viewfinder, but not on the flash. I bypassed the BG2, connecting directly to the connection on the T32; no change. I switched to a standard TTL Auto Cord, connected to the ttl connection on the front of the OM-2s - bingo! exposure confirmation on the flash and in the viewfinder! I repeated the experiment with an OM-4, with the same results... finally, to confirm that the OM-2n and Shoe 4 were working, I put the T32 directly into the Shoe 4, and got proper operation - ready light and exposure confirmation both in the viewfinder and on the flash...

So anyone got any ideas what is going on here? Apparently the Shoe Cord does not fully replicate the connections made in the shoe. I have not done a continuity check on the contacts within the shoe cord. A big question is: given that exposure confirmation light comes on in the viewfinder (but not on the flash), has the TTL metering actually cut off the flash at the proper exposure value? If so, I'm probably OK with the Shoe Cord, if I can get it to work on the OM-2n (interestingly, the instruction sheet that came with it does not include the -2n in the diagram of compatible cameras!).

Any help/explanation/experience/theory will be appreciated!

Thanx!

Curt Hedman