Re: [OM] Re: Camera Insurance? Pictures of your camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Camera Insurance? Pictures of your camera?
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:29:48 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Steinman" <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, 19 January, 2003 03:32 PM
Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Insurance? Pictures of your camera?

> >From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >I'm a State Farm customer, as well, and have had pretty good
> >experiences with them over the years...
>
> I had State Farm until they were purchased by British Tobacco. Somehow, I
couldn't see buying insurance from a company owned by a company whose
products will kill you if used as recommended. :-) I also prefer doing
business with US companies, all things being equal.

> I've been delighted with Amica since then. They are not the cheapest if
you use their non-dividend prices, but their dividend option comes out to be
VERY competitive. They have not failed to refund me 200f my auto premium
(250n homeowners) every year, through earthquakes, hurricanes, 9-11, and
claims I've made.

> Sort of on-topic info: I have an $80 ($64 after rebate) home business
rider with Amica that covers all my computer, camera, and art stuff up to
$5,000. That's probably only 100f new replacement cost of everything, but
I'm banking a thief isn't going to get EVERYTHING, and $5k would go a long
way to covering one camera bag snatched out of my van, for example.

If you have $50,000 of gear, insure for $5,000 and then have a claim for a
loss, the insurer will pay only 5,000 / 50,000 of your claim. In insurance
talk it is called "averaging". The insurance company will consider that you
are self insuring 45,000 / 50,000 of your total inventory. I  know of people
who got a serious shock thinking that they could receive a full payout for
an individual loss when they knowingly under insured.

jh