[OM] Re: How big is too big?

Subject: [OM] Re: How big is too big?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 11:52:14 -0800
>From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I think 400pixel is too small in today's standard, most people have 1024x768
>monitor (at least for the photo fans), the image will be too small on the
>monitor. I use 640-760 pixels and most file size around 90-120K.

It all depends on your perceived market, no?

A 120kB file will take 40 seconds to download over MOST phone lines. Even BEST
CASE, assuming 56kbits, such a file will take over 21 seconds. Those of us with
speedy DSL or cable access should not ignore that many people will be unwilling
to wait that long.

(The WORST thing to do is to put arbitrarily-sized images on your site, then
re-size them in the browser. Web authoring software sometimes encourages this.)

It also depends on your goals. If you are selling your images, a 760-pixel
image that someone downloads and prints for free is potential loss of revenue.
Worse yet, it is easily poached for commercial purposes. It has a lot more
value to thieves than a smaller image. OTOH, if you are simply putting them up
there for folks to enjoy, and don't really care if it ends up as the background
image on a porno site, make them as big as you like! :-)

Image size is a trade-off. ALL of my web sales have been to people who have
seen my work elsewhere. The web images are only a reminder to them. OTOH, "cold
selling" images from a web site may make larger images more desirable, but even
a 1024 image won't show the quality of the final print -- it better not!

>For the
>prograssive mode, it will not make the file larger, check it out yourself...

I did at one time, and found that progressives were always about 10% bigger.
Perhaps it is time to re-visit that experiment.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>