Re: Subject: Re: [OM] advice needed: SPOT meter reading differs from AUT

Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [OM] advice needed: SPOT meter reading differs from AUTO ongray > card??
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:15:11 -0800
I have used the spot meter in my OM-2S, OM-3, and OM-4 with wide angles (24, 21, and 18s) when shooting transparencies without compensation and have never had any problems. Part of what you may e seeing is just the fact that the 'spot' is measureing a larger area with a super wide angle lens.

Jim Couch

Thomas Müller wrote:

Thanks to all for your input.

So, it appears to be a systematic problem with wide lenses and spot meter. I still do not quite understand why the two cameras I tested behaved differently (the center-weighted and spot reading in my OM4Ti/2-13 weere identical, but not in OM4/2-4). But, could be.

Vignetting could be a reason for the observed behaviour, but one fStop difference between center-weighted and Spot reading seems a bit too much vignetting (I did my test at f5.6).

Be it as it is, question is, can I use the Spot meter with wide angle lenses at all, do I have to compensate?

Gruesse, thomas