[OM] advice needed: SPOT meter reading differs from AUTO on gray card??

Subject: [OM] advice needed: SPOT meter reading differs from AUTO on gray card??
From: Thomas Müller <thomu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:42:54 +0100
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

a Happy not so New anymore Year to all of you.

By chance I noticed something with my OM4 (focussing screen 2-4)
which puzzles me: I took a reading from gray card in AUTO (center
weighted average), then pressed the SPOT button, and the little
diamond jumped one full Stop to the right (double exposure time).
The compensation dial was set to Null.

I did some more testing: This happens mainly/only with the 21f3.5 and
24f2.8, but not with the 28f2 or 50f1.8 (this selection is based on
lens availabilty). I also tried my OM4Ti/2-13 focussing screen with
these lenses and with all of them there was no difference between
center-weighted and spot reading. And with both cameras and with all
the lenses the center-weighted AUTO reading was identical and precise.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on? Does the combination of
2-4 focussing screen and very wide lenses cause this difference? Is
there something  wrong with my camera?

I would appreciate your input!!!

Thanks and best wishes,

Thomas