Re: [OM] Beyond the Return of Fast Photos with OM's

Subject: Re: [OM] Beyond the Return of Fast Photos with OM's
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:52:23 -0800
At 09:10 PM 1/13/2003 -0800, Stephen wrote:
...Mike,
I've also noticed that slide scans tend to lose apparent shadow detail to some extent as well. This is one of the reasons why Dmax and the bit depth of scanners is important. A fellow motorsports photographer on Photosig.com, Dave Smith, has noticed the same thing; and has been working on his Photoshop skills to get better scans. From what I've seen lately, looks like he's getting there. I should try the scan in 16-bit instead of 8-bit and see what that does. What's kind of strange is that this detail tends to come back when I print the scan out on the Epson 820. Why that is I'm not sure of....

Try multisampling if you scanner and SW support it. I heard that can really bring out the shadow details..

I know what you mean about a quality that says "film"; from that I take it you also feel there is a quality that says digital...I would agree, but not always....

Here's two photos I took with the D60...they don't look like they have a digital quality to me, but you decide...

http://www.pbase.com/image/10808860

Nice picture - except, what is the fuzzy edge around the big rock on the right? Is it some sort of aliasing artifact? It's hard to tell from the small file.

http://www.pbase.com/image/10809034

First name basis with her :-)?