Re: [OM] Beyond the Return of Fast Photos with OM's

Subject: Re: [OM] Beyond the Return of Fast Photos with OM's
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:51:10 +0800
Stephen Scharf wrote:

> Mike,
> I've also noticed that slide scans tend to lose apparent shadow
> detail to some extent as well. This is one of the reasons why Dmax
> and the bit depth of scanners is important. A fellow motorsports
> photographer on Photosig.com, Dave Smith, has noticed the same thing;
> and has been working on his Photoshop skills to get better scans.
>  From what I've seen lately, looks like he's getting there.  I should
> try the scan in 16-bit instead of 8-bit and see what that does.
> What's kind of strange is that this detail tends to come back when I
> print the scan out on the Epson 820. Why that is I'm not sure of....

Only D-max affect the shadow details, bit depth will not, not enough
bit depth will get banding effect. If the print get more shadow
details that means your monitor is not properly calibrated (at least
to the printer). Try to change the gamma of your shot you will have an
idea of the shadow details you have or hidden under your monitor.

C.H.Ling