Re: [OM] comparison: Olympus 100/2.8 and Tamron 90/2.5

Subject: Re: [OM] comparison: Olympus 100/2.8 and Tamron 90/2.5
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:35:34 -0500
Cc: <james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Sunday, January 12, 2003 at 20:24
Jim L'Hommedieu <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I like your thinking, James.  As a matter of fact, I recently bought a
> similar lens, the Vivitar Series1 90mm f/2.5 macro with a 1:1 adapter, to
> replace my Zuiko 100mm f/2.8.  I gave away (!) my Zuiko 50/3.5 macro because
> there's no working distance.
>
> My thinking was that for table top photography (for ebay ads and puppies) I
> need something that brings me much closer than the Zuiko 100 /2.8.  I have
> been using a Kiron zoom at 200mm that brings me to 1:4 but having something
> around 90mm that gets a little closer was a prime consideration.  Pun
> intended.
>
> The Series1, at 90mm, also gives better steps between the 50 and 135 lenses
> I already have.  For the concert stuff I love to shoot and on my budget, I
> have to have glass that is no slower than f/3.5, sharp wide open and CHEAP.
> The Kiron 80-200 f/4 is just barely not good enough.
>
> I really like the Series1 90mm macro as a general purpose short-tele.  This
> lens is so sharp it's amazing.  The first time I used it, I noticed that
> when I focused it on a pipe, from about 5 feet away, I could clearly see
> that the center of the pipe (closest to me) was in focus but the right side
> edge (the farthest visible side) was not.  The difference was only about 1".
> The image in the viewfinder is.... crystalline it's so sharp.  The Series1
> focuses in the same direction as the Zuikos.

There's a 90/2.5 on ebay now:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3344&item=3000643208

---- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur ----
   ,__@ tOM Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)                ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714
safety." -- Benjamin Franklin