Re: [OM] Some interesting figures

Subject: Re: [OM] Some interesting figures
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:17:58 -0800
Way too simplistic. Investors and analysts are interested in return on capital employed (investment, equity, etc.). I used to work in the supermarket industry while one of my brothers worked in the farm equipment industry. Supermarket profit ran about 1-1.50f sales, but we turned inventory over more than 12 times per year, i.e., sales were over 12 times the value of inventory. The farm equipment inventory (combines, tractors, harvesters....) turned about once per year, so they would need to have 12-180rofit for the same annual return on inventory as the supermarket business. (Fixed investment, payables/receivables, etc. issues (which are VERY different for the 2 industries) ignored for conceptual simplicity.)

I suspect that film is a much faster turn business than cameras and office machines and processing and processing supplies are certainly much faster. I'm not saying that Kodak is more or less 'successful' than any of the other of the businesses on the list, but rather that the information given is completely insufficient to tell.

Moose

Alan wrote:

Cute -- Fuji makes 10 times the product as kodak on same income and olympus
makes the same profit as kodak on 1/4 the income. What is kodak doing with
all their mony ?