Re: [OM] The coming generation of 35mm CCD digital cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] The coming generation of 35mm CCD digital cameras
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 13:37:44 +0000
On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 09:31:37 -0800, Winsor Crosby
<wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I am getting very suspicious of pixel counting.  DP Review seems to
>indicate that the Sigma is better in some ways than a 6 megapixel
>Canon, but significantly worse in others.  One would think that with
>nearly twice as many pixels the Sigma would be substantially better
>in the same way that a 4 megapixel image would be over a 2 megapixel
>image. Fuji's diagonal array seems to be much better than the usual
>rectangular array with the same pixel count.  This stuff is really
>just getting started.

If we oversimplify, for the moment, by assuming the chip is square
then the improvement in linear resolution is proportional to the
square root of the number of pixels. So doubling the pixel count only
improves matters by 40%, very noticeable when stepping from 2 to 4
megapixels but, at reasonable image sixes, is going to be less
noticeable when going, say, from 6 to 12 megapixels (simply because
the 6 megapixel image, printed say to A4 size, is pretty good
anyway!).

Certainly I can see no noticeable difference between pictures from my
E-10 and those from an E-20. But that's only an 11 0mprovement so not
surprising.

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)