RE: [OM] The coming generation of 35mm CCD digital cameras

Subject: RE: [OM] The coming generation of 35mm CCD digital cameras
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 16:39:14 -0500
Here comes digital.

Go over to www.luminous-landscape.com and read the EOS D1s review.  The
author, a very respected photographer, is sold on the camera vs. MF.

The Kodak is a fine machine too, and perfectly suitable for outdoor work,
but doesn't have the raw speed of the Canon.  It's got very nice firmware
for the professional though.

The durability and reliability of the Sigma will determine much of its
success.  It's had some problems in its early configurations.  I'm not sure
if the lens mount will hurt it though.

For the pro, I can't see any reason not to change whole-hog to digital, as
the workflow is so superior and the lack of film/processing costs will pay
for itself in 12-15 months.

For the amatuer, it's still a very expensive luxury to get a digital SLR
body, IMO.  You've got to shoot a lot of film to justify it.  And I wonder
about the long-term reliability of a $2-3000 body.

Personally, I don't want to re-buy that DSLR puppy ever few years.  So I've
stayed with a pro-sumer camera (Canon G2), which is perfect for me.  I use
my Leicas for much of my family stuff, which are superior for available
light, quick action photography to any SLR or digital camera.  The OM's do
duty for most everything else and a Contax T2 or the Canon G2 handles the
take-everywhere P&S duties.

Skip