Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...(was: Re: [OM] a purely

Subject: Re: How do you use your extreme focal lengths...(was: Re: [OM] a purely hypothetical question... -not- OT!)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 19:26:25 -0800
In a message dated 1/9/2003 Thomas Heide Clausen writes:

<< Uhmm...what are you using such long lenses for, I wonder? <snip> Are
everyone bird/wildlife/motorsports photographers >>

Speaking only for myself, yeah, I shoot some pictures of cars and really
don't like the idea of being hit by them. That combined with tracks
pushing us all further and further back, long glass is essential. There
are often times that the 490mm (350/2.8 + 1.4A) really isn't enough.
There are tracks, especially in Europe, that are called 600mm and 800mm
tracks by photographers for good reason. With my E-10 covering the vast
majority of my work between 35mm and 200mm now, almost all the film I
shoot now on track is with the big white one. It gets more use than any
lens I have ever owned. The Can*n 500 f4 seems to be a very popular
weapon of choice these days (Stephen, you need one of those for your
D60! <g>)

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com