Re:[OM] Garden (... What do you guys usually do in less than optimal li

Subject: Re:[OM] Garden (... What do you guys usually do in less than optimal light?)
From: Klaus Elmquist Nielsen <klaus.elmquist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:17:15 +0100
Hi Andrew,

The daylight here in Denmark is only really good between 10am and 2pm at this
time of year. Thus one develops a taste for night photography and tungsten
film. :)

For Xmas and the like I used my L-word M6 for handheld photography with Kodak
Porta 800 and Kodak Ektachrome 320T (pushed one stop). Works very well, except
for the skin colors, in particular with Porta 800. Have to learn more about
color correction in PhotoShop!

For tripod work I used my OM-*Ti with a 50mm/f3.5 macro and Fuji 64T in the
Tivoli
gardens. Very nice film. The only problem was that the batteries went flat
quickly
because of the cold, so the spot meter was tricky to use. I had about a second
to read the meter when turning on the internal lighting before the light _and_
the
meter went out again. :-)

I also used an old Yashica-Mat with Kodak Ektachrome 64T on a tripod in the
Tivoli gardens. I love 6x6 slides! Light metering was performed with the OM.

Last weekend I used my OM-*Ti and a 90/f2 macro with Fuji Realla and
Kodak Porta 100T in our botanic gardens. Worked at f2-f2.8 and 1/125-1/250.
I am pretty impressed that it was possible to work handheld with such a slow
film at this time of year. The lighting was a mixture of sodium lamps and a
blue/grey sky, so once again I got interesting colors (sigh!).

When I use print film I normally only have the negatives developed and then
scan the negatives at home. A shop here in copenhagen have a one-hour photo
service that is open in the weekends. Nice!

It is interesting to compare the out-of-focus images made with the L-word
M6 with a E*M*R-M 50mm/f2.8 and the OM-*Ti with a 50mm/f3.5 macro.
The Zuiko is much nicer with completely round ouf-of-focus images whereas
the L-word lens produced five or six sided polygons. The inspiration for
making deliberate out-of-focus images of Xmas trees was an article in
Photographic (dec 2002, p.50).

BTW, the reason for being a part-time zuikoholic is that a good friend and
colleague of mine borrowed me an OM-2n about two and a half years ago.
About a year ago I bought my own OM-2 and a 50mm/f1.8 and a 50mm/f3.5 macro.
Zuikoholism had struc me! The OM collection has since expanded a bit. The L-word
M6 was added this fall. I hope one day to get a 'blad or a M*m*i* 7II for
medium format work. But that is likely to be quite some time into the future
given my current financial situation.

Oh, if someone want to buy a new OM-4Ti, it is still in the shop, then please
contact me. :-)

Just my 0.02 kroner!

Cheers and happy new year,
Klaus