Re: [OM] Ideesign Qtop quick release?

Subject: Re: [OM] Ideesign Qtop quick release?
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 10:42:33 -0500
Think of it like this, as the professionals do: When you have multiple
thousands of dollars of camera & lens on a tripod, it doesn't pay to be
cheap with the support.  That's why many of the "old fogies" do as they do.
Most have been through their "Why would I spend $500-1000 on a TRIPOD??!!"
phases

My Arca-Swiss B1 and RRS plates are one of the best investments in camera
equipment that I've made in the past 20 years; along with my two Gitzo's.
I don't know about the people here, but I'm constantly amazed at the crappy
tripods and heads that I see holding VERY expensive equipment.  Also I see
way too many people cranking up the center column, which is the worst thing
you can do for stability.  I purposely bought a longer tripod last time so
that without the center column, it will reach about 65" to the top of the
plate where the head mounts.  Hang a 10-20 lb camera bag or bag of rocks
from the center and that tripod isn't going anywhere.

You don't need to spend $600 on a Gitzo CF tripod though (I didn't).  Get a
good Bogen and an Arca Swiss B1 head.  It will be the best thing for your
photography you ever bought, and you'll never sell it.  Why do you think
that B1's are rare on Ebay?  Because they don't get sold and they rarely
break.

Skip