RE: [OM] Ideesign Qtop quick release?

Subject: RE: [OM] Ideesign Qtop quick release?
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:15:38 -0500
If you have an existing tripod head that you'd like to adapt to QR, the
Q-Top solutions looks nice.  It's only $100, + $20 for extra plates, which
is reasonable.

My comments and experience,

I've used QRs from Arca-Swiss, Bogen rectangular, and Bogen hex.  The two
Bogen solutions always screw up their cork padding, but the plates work
pretty well and lock into place very securely.  They don't have any room
for adaptation though.

I'm firmly in the Arca-Swiss, channel-type QR camp.  I use RRS plates (Kirk
are nice too) which give a much more secure camera/lens-to-plate connection
and IMO exert less stress on the camera than cork-padded plates. They're
like part of the camera when mounted, and seldom come off or loosen much
(which is something that I can't say about the Bogen plates, which always
seem to work loose or turn).

Once you invest in an Arca-Swiss-type clamp (RRS sells a version that will
mount on another tripod head), you have a solution which is VERY secure and
offers the flexibility of buying the right sized plate.  Many plates for
long lenses are 6-8" long and allow one to slide the rig for proper balance
point.  And they're just about industrctable.

Panoramas: I use a Kaidan Kiwi+ head, which has a lot of flexibility for
getting the nodal point right.  Highly recommended if you use different
camera/lenses.  (Note: you can make a custom head yourself for a single
camera/lens rig for a few bucks.  There are several sourced on the internet
for designs.)  I don't have a leveling base, which is a mistake, as that is
a pain to accomplish.  I've heard very good things about the Gitzo base,
and there are others.

The lightest panorama rig would be a tripod, leveling base, and a custom,
L-shaped bracket to hold the camera/lens in the right place.

IMO, the Q-Top isn't really a good option for panoramas, any more than a
standard head is for panoramas.  Why?  There's not provision for
nodal-point positioning or leveling, which are, as I said, the two critical
issues.  It's a nice product though.  I'm puzzled why they tried to portray
it as a panorama accessory.  :-?

I'm also a little bit worried about how secure the Q-Top is, but I'd bet
that they've got a good interlock system for that.  Me?  I prefer to be
able to crank that QR locking screw down on my Arca-Swiss B1.  No rig is
getting out of those QR jaws when it's tightened.

Skip