Re: [OM] Now the holidays are over...

Subject: Re: [OM] Now the holidays are over...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 13:01:13 -0800
Even if it isn't as simple as Chris and John suggest, it should still be a pretty easy and/or cheap repair. I just looked at one. All you have to do is take the top off to see the whole little mechanical mechanism. Looking at it, it seems to me that if you can "shake the body to get the counter back to 0 when the back is open", that the spring is probably not broken, but something else is gummed up. The spring design is such that it's not under high tension even fully wound. It looks like it would be quite a project to get the number disk spun back to zero just by shaking without some spring tension helping it in the right direction. R. Lee Hawkins FAQ doesn't seem to be available just now (I hope it's still going to be around!). If you need help getting the top off, check the archives, or the web ring or ask.........

Moose

Sam Shiell wrote:

.... and now we've all everyone's done the major O/T's of Lord Of the Rings and Guns and
whatever, someone must be able to answer the
"absolutely-On-topic-and-what-this-list-is-about" question that I posted a few
weeks ago, which was:
The return spring for the film counter on my OM1 has broken. If I remember I can shake the body to get the counter back to 0 when the back is open, but not very practical. Is this an easy fix? Something I can do myself or does it need sending to a repairer?