RE: [OM] Guns and Cameras?

Subject: RE: [OM] Guns and Cameras?
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:16:40 -0700
Where I live those big rigs are being driven because they are much better at
plowing through the mud and snow than little low-slung cars. The
penis-extension theory would, at least, be a secondary effect. That may not
be true in the cities where these vehicles are being driven for reasons that
probably have little to do with need. Firearms are carried here because the
nearest law enforcement personnel may be a long ways from where you are. The
only protection I have is that which I can provide all by my little self.
The police do detective work after the fact and there is little protection
in that. We have had some interesting discussions on this list about
pickpockets operating in some parts of the world. It seems to me that the
authorities do very little to take the thieves off the streets but perhaps
that is a misconception on my part. Life could be very hazardous for a
pickpocket here because, if caught, the police would probably receive his
much modified body. We live in very diverse societies and cultures where the
needs are completely different. Projecting our personal values on others
seldom works and those debates on this list never solve the issues. It does
present on opportunity to insult one another.  /jim