[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3776

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3776
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 00:16:32 -0800

It will be a while before digital systems (camera, photo printers, etc) will equal the quality of large format at any price. An 8x10 image contains (7.75*25.4*100)(9.75*25.4*100)= 487,499,025 tricolor pixels, or 975 Mpixels (as digital cameras are usually advertised). By Moore's Law, this will take 18*log2(975/4)= 142.7 months, or 12 years to come down to the price of 4 Mpix camera. This would likely be the minimum delay, as the market for large format is far smaller than for 35mm, so far less money will be invested in pusing into the large format market. Also, the quality requirements and expectations of the 8x10 crowd far exceed that of the 35mm crowd, even the pros.

How many photographers shoot with 8X10 view cameras anymore? Not many, I'd expect. My guess is that they are a minor, minor fraction of the no. of photographers out there, and even a small fraction of working pros. A lot of pros do shoot view cameras with Phase One or LEAF digital backs, though.

You're also making an assumption that Moore's law is dictating the pace of digital back/camera development. From what Iwould guess, just anecdotally, is that it is even faster than that. For example, in the eighteen mos. or so since Canon's first DSLR became available (beginning of 2001) we have seen the resolution go from 3 megapixels to 11. From what I can see, it's like motorcycle tire development, they just keep getting batter and better! I would expect that we will see the advent of a 6-8 megapixel digital SLR that is the equivalent to an EOS 3 that will sell for $1000 in two years at the very outside, and quite possibly within a year....

Stephen Scharf
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!