[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3767

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3767
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:34:13 -0800

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:46:42 +0000
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Digital vs. film

I get the impression that digital vs. film arguments are rather like
playground fights e.g. my toy is better that yours etc. It's personal
preference who likes what. I will only use digital when film ceases to
exist as I much prefer the results I get from film and I also think that
digital is very overpriced. For the price of a really good quality
digital camera I could buy an Ebony RSW45 and/or further expand my OM
gear. However I've used digital cameras before to create time lapse
films of some geomorphological experiments and here digital excelled.
Why doesn't the argument for digital vs. film concentrate on how the two
formats can complement each other instead of grinding each other into
the ground? I dare say there are many complementary ways, we've just
never heard of them! Sorry if this seems a bit OT but I just had to vent
some steam!!!

Best Wishes,
Gareth.

Gareth,
I completely agree with you. I certainly wasn't slamming film in favor of digital. I just didn't agree with what Albert was saying about digital. I've said all along that these are all tools in our arsenal, and the fun and challenge of using them is to make the most of their strengths and learn how to work with their shortcomings. As an example, the camera I always carry with me at all times is a 35 mm P&S. I still love looking at slides through a loop. A nice little digital like the C-50Z is great for uploading pics for friends to view on common websites, though. For example, for sharing ride photos with the group I ride motorcycles with regularly. It's way less trouble than scanning slides. But when you get a really nice slide of a good shot, then the trouble of getting a good scan can be very worthwhile.

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!