Re: [OM] Digital vs. film

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital vs. film
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:32:04 -0800
>From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I get the impression that digital vs. film arguments are rather like
>playground fights e.g. my toy is better that yours etc.

Canon vs Nikon, Mac vs Wintel, Ford vs Chevy... the more you like one, the more
you have to hate the other, no? :-)

> It's personal
>preference who likes what.

I think it's a bit more than that. Digital and film each have strengths and
weaknesses. Those who deny that are simply in denial!

>I much prefer the results I get from film...

It may be that you work with material that better complements film, or it may
simply be that you are more comfortable and have more expertise with film.

It's good to challenge ourselves by getting out of our comfort zone from time
to time!

>Why doesn't the argument for digital vs. film concentrate on how the two
>formats can complement each other instead of grinding each other into
>the ground?

But that would mean people who would rather argue would have to agree on
something! :-)

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>