Re: [OM] Test results from the OM-4 and the Metz54

Subject: Re: [OM] Test results from the OM-4 and the Metz54
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:45:38 +0100
At 11:07 17.12.02, Richard F. Man wrote:
Another question for the Metz users - does the SCA-321 transmit aperture and asa information to the flash? For testings, I have been careful to manually setting the zoom, aperture, and asa. It would be good to know I don't have to do that.

Where should the flash get that information from, other than you? Even the camera don't know anything about zoom or aperture (or distance). The camera knows only ASA, how many stops from full aperture you've set your lens at, and how much light there is. That's enough for the camera, but the flash would need absolute aperture and/or distance to do any useful calculations. Because the camera controls the flash (in TTL mode, that is), there's no need for the flash to know, in other modes you'll have to tell the flash what settings you use.

Thomas Bryhn