RE: [OM] ( OM ) Re: What's your standard setup?

Subject: RE: [OM] ( OM ) Re: What's your standard setup?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:28:52 -0500
At 01:34 12/12/02, you wrote:
John,  Now add in your time at $80 per hour to get your "normal people" cost
impact. That's the part that hurts. Especially if the kid doing the work is
getting minimum wage. /jim

Jim,
Didn't want to make fun of Brian's predicament. I was actually smiling at the thought of carrying out the first steps in a major system upgrade this weekend. The very best laid plans are only good until the first shot is fired. All the planning does in reality is assemble the necessary resources. It never proceeds as originally planned and a there's always a few surprises. I'm trying **not** to think about the market value of my time in doing this. It's sweat equity; at least that's what I keep repeating to myself. Someday I might actully believe it. In the end though I know exactly what I did. There are too many who claim to know how to do these things when their knowledge is somewhat superficial. If they encounter a glitch, such as the one I did when upgrading RAM a while back, they're totally lost. Wasn't a bad motherboard or RAM, just incompatible. The reasons were subtle and buried in motherboard documentation.

The First Surprise:
The first step was replacing the drive in my system which I planned to do this evening. The one being replaced will be shelved for the other half's system upgrade. Before tearing the system apart I checked on a few things (learned the hard way to do these things).

Ooops! The bios on my motherboard doesn't support drives that large. OK, off to the motherboard manufacturer's web site. Yep, there's a new bios that supports huge drives (among a few other things). New first step. Flash the bios on my motherboard. Not something I recommend doing very frequently. Risk is low but consequence can be catastrophic for the motherboard. If it doesn't flash properly, the machine will not boot . . . period. Similar to Houston wondering if the Apollo 13 crew fired the rockets correctly while around the dark side of the moon . . . and having to wait until they appeared on the other side to find out . . . only the consequences aren't nearly so severe.

-- John