[OM] ( OM ) Re: What's your standard setup?

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Re: What's your standard setup?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:11:22 +1300
Hi Folks,

I've been absent for nearly a week due to an ailing computer. Like VERY
sick. Several hundred dollars later I'm back in business .
( I don't know whether to go ;->  or |:-(   ) Probably the latter.

I certainly hadn't planned on that not-so-little adventure. And it's not over
yet.

>I know the question wasn't directed to me, but I am a strong supporter of
>this lens.
Cy wrote
>One disappointing aspect of the 35-105mm zoom is that it is the lens with
>the most horriblest (**) aperture ring of any Zuiko.  I got my mint sample
>via Ebay, but prior to that I examined two others in a shop, and all three
>had this horrible aperture ring.  It feels as though the aperture ring is
>full of grit and in need of a generous squirt of WD40.  As all three samples
>exhibited this characteristic, I surmise that this is normal for the
>35-105mm Zuiko.

- -- from Cy in the UK

I just checked some of mine.

The 35-105 is rather stiffer than most Zuikos, the detent ball must fit in to
larger slots. But not gritty. I suggest that if it feels gritty and possibly
sand-
contaminated it probably is, and a service-person should look at it. I bought a
much-used Tokina recently and got quite an amount of sand from under the
aperture ring. And this lens came from the UK.

The 35-105 aperture ring operation is not as smooth as for my 35-70 3.6, or a
100/2 that I have BUT, if you want to hear a loud empty clacking sound
accompanied by a rather coarse-feeling operation, try a Zuiko 50/1.8 MIJ.
Both of mine have this feature. They still take good photos though.

Brian