[OM] "most horriblest" aperture ring

Subject: [OM] "most horriblest" aperture ring
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 05:16:14 -0800
Some years back, when I expanded my previously Zuiko-only collection with
several Sigma lenses, I was surprised at just how awful the aperture rings
were. They were stiff, rough, and hard to set exactly. I'd owned Vitovars
for my Nikon that weren't anywhere nearly as bad.

I complained to the president of Sigma. He replied, in shaky English, that
such poor quality was not acceptable, that it was a blot on Sigma's
escutcheon, and that they would soon re-engineer the aperture rings to be of
higher quality. Naturally, nothing ever happened.

I shipped off the three lenses to Sigma USA, and they loosened the rings.
They're not quite so bad, but they're still very sub-par. For a country
which claims to have such a refined aesthetic sense it's hard to understand
how a company that is arguably their top independent lens maker doesn't seem
to care.