Re: [OM] OM vs. Leica

Subject: Re: [OM] OM vs. Leica
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:45:02 -0500
Albert, et.al,

I'm an avid OM and Leica user, so I have a good frame of reference.  (All
of you who know me knew that I'd weigh in on this topic.)

First, let's get it straight that the lenses are within spitting distance
of each other.  Yes, the Leica lenses test better, especially wide open,
but it's not easy to see the difference.  In most situations, hand-holding
shake and mirror slap ruin each image enough to make side-by-side tests
worthless. There are some bokeh differences too, but that's very dependent
on each lens.

Second, the Leica (or any other good interchangable lens rangefinder) is a
better machine at close-quarter candid or people photography than any SLR.
It's delay time is very small (12-15 milliseconds), it's quieter, and the
lenses can be hand-held at 1-3 shutterspeeds slower due to less body
vibration.  That doesn't mean the Leica shooters make better pictures.  But
I find that I connect better with my subject, the camera doesn't get in the
way as much, and people aren't as intimidated by a Leica than just about
any SLR.  Yes, the OM's are small and just about the same size as a Leica
M, but there's something very different about taking pictures with your
right eye (while the left one is looking at the subject) versus "hiding"
behind an SLR, looking at your subject through the camera.  It's the
eye-to-eye connection that's lost.  It's hard to describe, but it's very
real.

(Let's not mention Macro, Telephoto, etc as differences.  Those are
OBVIOUSLY the domain of the SLR; RF userss don't have any business there
except for those crazy hard-core guys.)

Third, the construction of a Leica body is just about the most sturdy of
any 35mm camera short of a Nikon F/F2 or Canon F1.  It feels very solid,
more so than any of the OM bodies, and I've used them all except the
OM3/3Ti.

The big problem is that they darned things are so expensive.  Granted they
will never wear out in my lifetime, which is more than I can say for my
OM4Ti, which I expect to last only another 10-15 years until I have
irreplacable circuit problems.  The OM1 may function longer.  But my Leica
M3 will still be viable in 30-40 years, barring abuse.  It was made in the
late 50's, and is as solid as ever.  The lenses are also very sturdy, much
more so than the Zuikos.  Much of the Leica image quality comes from the
superior mechanical construction of their lenses.

So what does it cost to get a minimal Leica M outfit?  M3 double-stroke or
M4-2 user-grade body: $5-700.  50/2 Summicron Collapsible: $2-400 OR 35/2
Summicron (the classic Leica lens) $4-700 OR 50/2 M-mount Wetzler Summicron
$400-500.  So around $1,000, less if you buy a screwmount body, but they're
not anywhere near the M bodies for REAL usability, IMO.

Yea, it's a cult, but it's very nice.  Don't knock it until you try it.
And be careful, that first step is the beginning of a long decent.  I know
one long-time OM user who bought an M4-P on a whim and now has 5-6 lenses
and 3 bodies.  He's in DEEEEP.

Skip