RE: [OM] High Speed Sync using Metz

Subject: RE: [OM] High Speed Sync using Metz
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 20:11:53 -0800
At 08:00 PM 12/4/2002 -0500, John wrote:
At 15:59 12/4/02, Robert F. Man wrote:
At 09:06 AM 12/4/2002 -0800, Winsor Crosby wrote:
...I read an informative article with lots of pictures some time ago that dealt with diffusers. They don't really work unless they are really large and really close like umbrellas and light boxes. The harshness is inversely dependant on the size of the light source and directly dependant on the distance. Notwithstanding all the gadgets for sale out there, unless you can bounce a lot of light off other sources like ceilings and walls you are pretty much stuck.
--

Well OK, but all I want is less harsh pictures, like the one my wife gets w/ her digi-cam :-) I mean it is embarrassing for me to tout the virtues of my OM system, while her dinky little C-3000 gets better flash pics!

I agree with Winsor about size of diffuser versus distance. For my cousin's wedding I used a Sunpak 555 potato masher with a Lumiquest Softbox (the full size one, not the mini). Near zero suitable ceiling or wall to use for bounce in churches and large reception halls. When using it I must watch to keep in close, otherwise its effect is lost. Stuck with the fast 50mm for that reason, even though there's some perspective risk getting in close.

Remember that not only is light quality important, but its direction is also. Using the handle mounted flash for close in shots of dancing couples created some nice modeling of facial features, and its offset creates a different light direction compared to using the rotating camera bracket that keeps the flash directly above the lens. I will likely use it again for shooting dancing couples to see how consistent the effect is. BTW, when using the rotating bracket, I usually have a Metz bounce card mounted on the 40 MZ. Its panel is about the same size as the Lumiquest Softbox panel and it raises the light source a little more. Both are significantly better than a shoe mounted T series flash.

First of all, when you say rotating bracket, is the Metz G16 one of those?

You ought to be able to get better flash pix than the C-3000. Most cameras with built-in flash are pretty harsh, provide very frontal lighting and are high risk for red-eye.

One interesting thing is I just got the roll of Provia 100F slide back, and it seems that the flash pictures look BETTER than the Kodak 100. Is it possible that the film can make a difference?