RE: [OM] High Speed Sync using Metz

Subject: RE: [OM] High Speed Sync using Metz
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:06:27 -0800

Yea, you're right. Anyway, I guess my goal is better served to get a unit that can diffuse the lights better to avoid the harsh front on light. The Metz 54-MZ3 does seem appealing in that regard nevertheless. I can shoemount it most of the time, and get a bracket for certain stuff.

Other choices for good flash? Looking at the archive, the Metz comes up a lot, although looks like the old "favoriate" Metz 40MZ has been replaced by the 54-MZ.

// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>

I read an informative article with lots of pictures some time ago that dealt with diffusers. They don't really work unless they are really large and really close like umbrellas and light boxes. The harshness is inversely dependant on the size of the light source and directly dependant on the distance. Notwithstanding all the gadgets for sale out there, unless you can bounce a lot of light off other sources like ceilings and walls you are pretty much stuck.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California