[OM] ( OM ) standard lightweight setup

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) standard lightweight setup
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:11:58 +1300
Hi folks,

If I want a really light standard setup it would have to be the OM10 (a very
light body with autopilot on demand) and a Zuiko 50/1.8 MIJ + hood.

Next choice (bigger, heavier) would be OM 2, 10 or 4T with the Zuiko 35~105.

Now I know I have bought two wide angle zooms during the last year - the
Samyang 18~28 and the Tokina AT-X 24~40 (neither are small or light). I did
so because I wanted to have the capability to cover those focal length ranges
should occasion require it - and I was attracted by the reported excellent
resolution of this AT-X lens model.

But I must say I am puzzled about so many people preferring a wide angle
as a standard lens. Even as wide as 21 or 24mm.

I tend to use the other end of the focal length scale.

If I am on walk-about, I really struggle to find subjects that need such a wide
angle. I wonder if this if because I'm not into shooting in streets, buildings
closeup, building interiors or events full of people (which I tend to avoid
like
the plague).

What is it that people have in common, who use wide angles consistently?

Brian