RE: [OM] Mind Bender (intermediate focal length?)

Subject: RE: [OM] Mind Bender (intermediate focal length?)
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:31:11 -0600
Also, it is interesting that a 18mm has a FOV of 100 degrees - almost
twice that of the 50mm! ;)  and, if one is working on a system of
halves, the 28mm fits between these two.

This seems contrary to the 24-50-100 standard that many people employ.
I have found that I like the 18-28-50-85-135 group better, however I use
the 28 and 85 most, with the 135 coming in next, but this is mostly for
macro.

<snip>
I'm still not satisfied.

 50mm = 1x
100mm = 2x
???mm = 3x
200mm = 4x

If these are the "standard" multiplication factors regarding general
"magnification" of 35mm cameras, then why is 3x 135mm and not 150mm?

AG-Schnozz