Re: [OM] Concert photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Concert photography
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 22:58:39 +0000
On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 14:33:33 -0800, "R. Jackson"
<jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I just got email from the Dead office saying it would be OK for me to
>shoot some film at The Other Ones show at the Kaiser in Oakland next
>Thursday. I haven't shot film at a concert in ages. Back in the late
>70's I used to shoot Kodak Ektachrome 400 for concerts, but there's a
>lot of film that's come out since then. I was thinking of using Portra
>or Supra 800. Has anyone got any suggestions?
>
>-Rob

It's a while since I shot stage photography and that was generally on
a small theatrical stage where light levels were around a stop lower
than they would be at a professional concert. I got round to using
medium format (645) too.

I always shot colour negative (400ASA then) and printed my own.  I
used no colour balance filter on the camera and did all the
compensation in the printing.  I found it was better to meter a 400ASA
film at 320ASA so that the blue sensitive layer was fully exposed in
the shadows. If it isn't, you get horrible crossed curves and it's
impossible to print. I suggest you rate the 800 colour neg materials
at no more than 640 ASA for the same reason.

Regards

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)