Re: [OM] Test slides from U.S. Southwest vacation...

Subject: Re: [OM] Test slides from U.S. Southwest vacation...
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 08:18:26 -0700
At 02:37 PM 11/28/2002 +0000, Roger Wesson wrote:
>Excellent shots, Garth.  It really does look like another world and those deep
>blue skies are gorgeous.  My personal favourite is the first one, which seems
>to me the most intriguing with the lines of the dunes leading the eye all the
>way up to the glimpse of distant hills on the horizon.

There's lots more where that came from, folks!  Besides the rest of the test
roll, I've got three other rolls from White Sands alone.  An embarrassment of
riches, assuming the others come out okay.  (I'm a bit worried about that -- I
also got back a roll of neg film I shot during the Leonids, and there's an
intermittent longitudinal scratch on the film which makes me think I might have
gotten some dust in the camera.  Hoping it didn't affect the slides.)

>I'm glad the X-ray machine didn't do any damage, but not too surprised, I have
>to say.  My own experience is that my film has never even remotely suffered
>from X-ray exposure, including a roll of Fuji Super HG 1600 which passed
>through no less than 11 airport scanners including two in the bag destined for
>the hold, before finally finding use.  The photos came out without any sign of
>damage.  I seem to recall Susan Steele mentioning a roll of film getting
>destroyed by the scanner on a trip to Hong Kong, but other than that I don't
>recall anyone else mentioning problems.  Would be interesting to hear what
>everyone's experiences have been, what precautions you take and what the
>circumstances were if you have had problems.

Precautions?  I can take *precautions*?  ;-)

Seriously, nothing.  I figured that if I did anything like wrap the film in
lead foil, they'd just up the power until the contents of my carry-ons glowed
in the dark, so I didn't bother.  But like I said, there's twelve more rolls to
screw up on.

Garth