[OM] Test slides from U.S. Southwest vacation...

Subject: [OM] Test slides from U.S. Southwest vacation...
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:17:08 -0700
Well, just got the first batch of test slides back from the processor, and I
must say I'm quite pleased -- doesn't look like the security X-rays at Denver
International Airport did any damage.  Here's a few links:

http://www.telusplanet.net/~garth/whitesands01.jpg (Zuiko 28/2.0, overexposed
two stops from meter reading)
http://www.telusplanet.net/~garth/whitesands02.jpg (as above)
http://www.telusplanet.net/~garth/whitesands03.jpg (as above)
http://www.telusplanet.net/~garth/whitesands04.jpg (Zuiko 100/2.0 w/Vivitar
Macro Focusing 2X teleconverter, exposure as above)
http://www.telusplanet.net/~garth/whitesands05.jpg (Zuiko 28/2.0, overexposed
two stops)
http://www.telusplanet.net/~garth/whitesands06.jpg (as above)
http://www.telusplanet.net/~garth/whitesands07.jpg (as above)

These are all from the portion of the trip we spent in Alamogordo, New Mexico,
in this case specifically White Sands National Monument.  "whitesands04.jpg"
looks like it was posed, but it actually wasn't -- the lady in the picture
(Deb) was one of our group, and wandered away from our picnic, plunking herself
down on top of a dune to look out at the landscape, which is damn impressive.
I just took it as a grab shot, handheld.

All of the shots had to be overexposed -- the sand was almost blindingly white
(it's basically almost-powdered gypsum), and my spot meter off of a grey card
disagreed with the average by approx. two stops, so I just kept spot metering
off of the brightest part of each scene and then pressing the "hilite" button.
As for the skies, they look like I used a polarizer, but I didn't -- I'd
forgotten to bring it from home, and the only half-decent camera shop I could
find (in Santa Fe) wanted $78.00 U.S. for a P.O.S. uncoated Tiffen, so I went
without.  It would seem that Fuji Astia was pretty faithful to my mind's eye
here, and it was "expired" slide film to boot!  (Almost a *year* expired! --
had it stored in my fridge...)

Hope you like 'em.  I'm going to dump the other twelve rolls on my processor
tomorrow, and cross my fingers.

Garth