Re: [OM] Lens cleaning

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens cleaning
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:04:13 EST
In a message dated 11/27/02 10:12:45 AM Central Standard Time,
clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> And I suspect that cotton balls
> would be the devil to use without leaving either lint or condensation
> marks, though I've never personally tried them.

Clint, I'm just using them to clean exterior lens surfaces. When I need the
interior surface cleaned it goes to the professionals.  I use a fairly large
cotton ball and tear it in half.  Dust the lens very well with a soft camel
hair makeup brush and then lightly dampen on of the pieces of cotton and
gently wipe the lens, using a circular motion beginning in the middle and
working my way out.  I then take the dry piece and go over the lens again.
My rule is one lens, one cotton ball. I may use the wet one to clean the
exterior of something other than a lens, but it then goes in the trash.  An
idea some might like is that in my kit I carry a small makeup brush that fits
in a case that looks a little like a lipstick case, but slightly longer, The
top comes off revealing a soft brush that is protected by a metal sleeve.
Slide the sleeve back and you have a very nice brush for knocking loose dust
off your lens.   Bill Barber