Re: [OM] Hi, my name is Rob and I'm a Zuikoholic...

Subject: Re: [OM] Hi, my name is Rob and I'm a Zuikoholic...
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 07:41:07 -0800

On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 07:18  AM, om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Rob,

Are you SURE you want a 500mm mirror lens? I've had the Zuiko and a couple of Tamrons over the years and I was never happy with any of them. Their performance vs. a prime all-glass lens is sub-par, IMO. And I HATED those
doughnut-shaped OOF highlights.  You'd be better off with a Sigma Apo
400/5.6 for much less money. I'd try to borrow or try one before buying.

Actually, the visual artifacts are the only reason I want it. I've never really managed to get into super-ultra-telephotography. I used to occasionally throw a 2x on my old 90-230 and do a squashed perspective shot or two, but I don't usually think in those terms. Maybe I'm just a bonehead. I know a lot of people use those lenses for sporting events and bird-watching and stuff like that, but most of my joy in taking photographs has always come from being a lot closer to my subject than that. I used to think that the visual artifacts of mirror lenses were just awful, but over the last few months I find myself more and more attracted to them. I just love how messed-up their response to light is. I'm really starting to love things that "ruin" images in an interesting way without being too obvious about it. If you could get a Clairmont Squishy Lens for an Olympus I'd be there. ;-)

How did the Zuiko compare to the Tamron, in your opinion?

OTOH, the 18mm is VERY NICE. I hope you have a 21mm first though. IMO, the way to buy an 18mm is to use a much cheaper 21/3.5 and then find that you often need just a little more FOV. Otherwise, buying the 18 can be an expensive learning experience. The upside is that the resale is very good
on 18's.

I don't actually own a 21mm. You could really have a point there. Again, I was thinking in terms of the more extreme warping of perspective without going to a fisheye where the distortion would draw attention to itself overtly. Do 18mm Zuikos pop up often enough for me to pass this one up and grab a 21mm or should I bite the bullet?

-Rob