[OM] I hate to go down this road, but...

Subject: [OM] I hate to go down this road, but...
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:35:32 -0600
"NO to each. As often before, for this relatively small but critical cover
image on glossy paper, they used a Calumet 4x5 view camera using a Nikkor W
240mm f/5.6 lens on Fuji RTP Tungsten, 6 seconds at f/45, and the subjects
(zoom lenses) set up on a shooting table.

I wonder what the printed cover could have looked like if photographed with
a good 35mm system."

And,

"At that size I don't think it matters much what format is used.  Probably
even APS would give a sharp, well realized image for the cover."

I have to disagree here. As in certain other things, size does matter.
Another example is the front cover of this month's Model Railroader
magazine, also shot with a 4x5 (don't know if it was with film or digital
back, but suspect film.). There is a visible difference.

In my own work, I produce  an employee and customer newsletter for a heavy
industrial contractor. All photos are B&W, shot 6x6, and reproduced at no
more than twice actual size at most. I can easily see the difference between
these and 35, and my printer says the pressmen love my jobs, because the
photos reproduce so well. I can also say that I can see the difference from
photos reproduced from 6x6 B&W and 6x6 color greyscaled in PS or from a B&W
halftone.

I can't say why, on a strictly numbers basis, this shouldn't be true. But,
it is like photodo. Sometimes we just don"t have the  right numbers. It's
the same reason that Playboy still shoots the foldout on 8x10 chromes. I
agree that in a photo print, there is little difference, but when it is on
the printed page, there is a distinct difference.

Bill Pearce