Re: [OM] Having fun with photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Having fun with photography
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:48:08 -0800
Heh...about a month after September 11 I went to a San Francisco Town Hall meeting near Delores Park. It was held in a Lutheran Church and there were people there I'd heard speak at Berkeley's California Students Against War meetings already. I was with a friend who was shooting Mini-DV of the meeting. During the middle of everything several people started screaming about how we were collecting faces for the government and they didn't want any government agencies monitoring their actions. Now, I'm a fat bald guy in my mid-30's, but my friend Bekah is a 95-pound teenage girl. How she could have been seen in a threatening way is beyond me. Anyway, the argument came to us and for a while several people were demanding not only that she put the camera away, but that she destroy the tape she'd been shooting. We eventually just put the camera away and they decided it wasn't worth fighting about the tape, but it was tense for a few minutes. It's strange how paranoid and frightened people are anymore. Michael Moore couldn't have been any more timely with Bowling For Columbine and its exploration of themes of fear and violence in the American psyche. I mean, a peace protest is the last place you should have to expect to be accosted by fellow protesters.

-Rob