[OM] 4/3 digital

Subject: [OM] 4/3 digital
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:05:31 +0800
One of the ladies at the local development place; was preaching to me about how "digital has caught and surpassed film" etc.. She showed me 5 pics of the same woman; she said "4 was taken with film, one was with digital, can't tell the difference right?" I picked out which one was digital. She said "lucky guess". She proceeded to test me with about 6 other, 5 picture groups, 1 done with digital. Needless to say, I scored 100%. Digital looks digital to me. It doesn't look bad, just different. So I don't think Fuji Velvia is going away anytime soon.

As for Olympus, I have inner struggles about them. They try really crazy stuff, and try to set "new standards". But they seem to not care if anybody is following.

What amazes me is that they are able to get Kodak and Fuji to buy into it. As for the memory type, XD if they can crank it to 8gig's affordably, then it would be the cat's meow. That would dominate the market I suspect, and the fact that it's small enough to be put into a CF adapter, means a lot of possibilities. If I buy a digital camera, (when I buy one) I want volume. I want to be careless and point and click at anything and everything; my easygoing vacation camera. I want an 8 gig card and fill it with 20,000 pics. But you can bet, for the serious keepers, the OM will still be around my neck.

The other thing nobody's mentioned is the "professional" look/feel aspect. Subjects who are camera shy hide from my OM (the professional looking camera) and those who love pics, think my OM is great. A digital camera short of a digital SLR, doesn't really stir the soul like my OM. Also, people think you are a "professional and know what you are doing" because I have an SLR vs a digital P&S. There's a lot to consider. gf wants a digital camera badly, as all her friends have recently bought one.

I want to wait until 2005, because by then, I feel the memory wars will have all but ended... there will be 2 remaining; let's hope one of them is Olympus' XD.

Albert