[OM] Colorado pictures

Subject: [OM] Colorado pictures
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:28:35 -0700
Well, I was going to wait until I had both of my recent trips scanned in, but as it seems the second is coming along very slowly, I'll post this one first. I've put some pictures of a hike that my father, brother, and I did in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness area in Colorado in September (heck, that's less than 3 months ago!).

The gear I took along was: OM-4T, 16/3.5, 21/3.5, 50/3.5, 100/2.8, Velbon 343 tripod, and the trusty XA, along with the usual sprinkling of Provia, Velvia, Kodachrome, and Portra. The XA was in my pocket on the trail, and I got some good shots with it (including the visit from the Beer Fairy), and the rest of the gear lived in a LowePro Off Trail 1 waist pack. The Off Trail 1 worked very well in conjunction with a Camelbak (which the tripod fits in/on) for day hikes.

We hiked a total of about 30 miles in 5 days, including climbing to the summit of Mt. Harvard. A couple of comments. First, I really like the Velbon tripod. It's under a kilo, very small, and reasonably sturdy. It's not quite a PGB (portable granite boulder), but it's a heck of a lot better than no tripod. Second, when you're 14,420 feet above sea level, the ONLY lens to use is the 16/3.5! (How's that for being an enabler?) Maybe someday I'll even figure out how to use it without getting the sun in (or nearly so) the picture. I claim hypoxia! Ok, maybe the 8/2.8 would suffice too, but it's a lot heavier, and I don't have one :)

Anyway, we had a great trip, and hopefully you'll enjoy the pictures. I'm the one who's obviously in the worst shape, has the least cool hat, and shows up in the fewest number of pictures. Hopefully you can sort out who's my Dad and who's my brother for yourselves. And yes, I did lug the tripod to the summit - mostly because I thought our chances of reaching it were low enough that I wouldn't actually have to take it ALL the way up, since it was cold and windy. But when we got there, it was perfectly calm, warm, and devoid of other hikers!

Here's the place: <http://www.swcp.com/~markml>

Hopefully I will get pictures from my second trip (to Italy, where my TOPE 11 shot came from) posted some time before next year :)

Mark Marr-Lyon