Re: [OM] Silencer for an OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Silencer for an OM
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:30:26 -0800
Steve,

If you have an OM-1 and a tripod, and the time between shots you could use the mirror lockup to quiet the camera. A LOT of the noise on an SLR is the mirror. Just compose the shot, set the speed and aperature, then lockup the mirror for the shot. You might also be able to devise some kind of external finder in which case you could lock the mirror up for the whole session.

Jim Couch

Steve Goss wrote:
Hi y'all-
I have an opportunity to take pictures at church again, but this time it will be of people praying. Because of that, I'd like to be as unobtrusive as possible. I have some Fuji Superia 1600 film, so I won't need a flash, and I'll probably use the 135mm f2.8 so I can be on the other side of the room. But that still leaves the camera body, with all it's shutter, and mirror, and stopdown noises. I tried wrapping the body with some bubble wrap, and some closed cell foam, but it didn't seem to cut down too much on the noise. I seem to remember a thread about doing something to quiet the shutter noises, but couldn't find it now that I have a need. Does anyone remember, or know where I could look it up?

Thanks, Steve Goss, Dallas Tx usa

Jim Couch
Tacoma, WA USA