RE: [OM] ebay bid timing

Subject: RE: [OM] ebay bid timing
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:32:18 -0700
>And, if you tighten up and lose by only $5, will you regret being so
>conservative? Pre-thinking just how badly you want that item can help
>you determine what your personal limits are...and you won't get trapped
>into bidding wars. Sniper software makes sense to financially protect
>you from yourself.

 Yeah, this is one reason I tend to only use BIN or snipes these days.
Otherwise, it's far too easy (for me, at least) to have the following set of
mental steps:

 "how much would I pay for that? well, $100 seems like all I'd pay for it if
I found one locally"
 [bid $100. e*ay says 'you have been outbid']
 "well, $110's only $10 more, I guess"
 [...]
 "okay, $200's only $10 more".

 I tend to forget about the $100 I started with, and only think about the
$10 more I'm putting in each time. It's not so much the bidding war where I
try and outbid someone else, it's just that if their initial bid is higher,
it's really easy to chase up to that bid in small steps without noticing it.

 snipes mean I say 'okay, I want that but only for $100', put in the snipe,
and forget about it until a week passes and either I win the thing, or I
don't. BIN is the same, but with more instant gratification.

 -- dan