Re: [OM] Re: CF tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: CF tripods
From: suchismit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 21:50:50 +0000
That is exactly the point. The issue is not whether
they  will be a few degrees warmer to hold(which they
wont) A CF tripod can go everywhere with you- hikes in
the mountains, rainforests, glacial ice fields,
deserts..just about anywhere,and after a while you will
barely even know you are carrying one (slight over-
statement..but you know what I mean).
They are as stable(if not more) as the big manfrottos
or gitzos but at a fraction of their weight. If you
are willing to haul a regular tripod almost
everywhere,and do so regularly, then you don't need a CF
 tripod. But if you are constantly debating the
usefulness of carrying
a tripod because of its weight then you should consider
one. Pictures taken even with a garden
variety 50/1.8 but mounted on a sturdy tripod will be
of better (technical) quality than those  taken with a
fancy 2.8 zoom containing rare-'Jupiter' elements and
UltraUltraUltra low dispersion glass. If you are a
casual snapshooter and image sharpness is not very
important to you , you can altogether forget one.

THe point I am trying to make is not whethere or not
to get a CF tripod, but whether or not to get *any*
sturdy tripod. A tripod not only produces sharper images
but it forces you to slow down and think about
composition. CF tripods certainly help a lot but by
no means are they essential.
-Tim