Re: [OM] Help Stop Copyright Theft!

Subject: Re: [OM] Help Stop Copyright Theft!
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 04:13:36 +0800
Barry,

What you say is this:

Dear Mr. Robinson;

I have seen from your recept campaign ads that you are a big fan of my work; thank you.

Please note that as you and your staff have not requested from me the use of these photos; I assume then your intent was to BUY them from me at a per use basis;

I charge $100,000 per impression of images I have taken; so please let me know how many of my images you have used; and please my the checks out to my father's campaign. Thank you for your interest and continued support in my artwork;

Yours,
Barry.

That I find usually gets their attention; from what I remember of law class; their unauthorized use, if you notify them of either stopping the usage; or else their continued usage means they have implied a purchase (warrantee laws, as their use means you will provide warantees against them being duplicates of other people's work) they have purchased your work.. I figure $100,000 is reasonable for good photographic artwork; and I'm sure your dad wouldn't mind them using it at $100K at pop... hehehe

Albert

Barry B. Bean wrote:

As some of you know, my father, Otto Bean, Jr., is running for State Representative. As part of the campaign, I've done several photo shoots with him, and used my photos in his campaign materials. However, I still retain copyrights to my photos, and they are for authorized use only.

Unfortunately, our opponent has little respect for copyrights, and has opted to use my copyrighted photos (without my permission) in attack ads and direct mail pieces.

I'm exploring my legal options, but I'd appreciate your help. Please drop our opponent, Brent Robinson, an e-mail asking him to respect intellectual property rights. I'd like to send him a strong message that political campaigns don't have the right to simply claim any copyrighted image they choose.

Brent Robinson's e-mail: robinsbr@xxxxxxxxx
Brent Robinson's party coordinator: mkelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Barry Bean