[OM] Hawaii Recommendations

Subject: [OM] Hawaii Recommendations
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:55:33 EST
Dan,

Portland: Rose's Deli; Powell's Bookstore; brewpubs; OMSI.  Wanna get
romantic?  Take her for a carousel ride at Jantzen Beach (N. Portland).  Rent
a car, and do at least a short loop out to Astoria at the mouth of the
Columbia R. (Coast Guard museum), on down to Seaside, Netarts/Tillamook.
Cape Meares Lighthouse.  There is a good air museum at Tillamook in an old
Navy dirigible hangar.  And Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose in now in a museum in
McMinnville, but I think it may be closed in Dec.  If you have enough time
and money for the rental car, the entire Oregon coast Hwy 101 is worth
driving, unless the wx is totally miserable & stormy.  Lighthouses, rocky
coast, interesting little seaside towns.

East of Portland: pretty much farms and orchards, unless you want to trek on
up to Mt. Hood for great skiing.  Mt. Hood Lodge is beautiful even if you
don't go skiing.  I like Mt. Hood Meadows (a little further on around the
mountain) better for skiing.  If you're at least an intermediate skier, take
the "Texas" chair to the top.  You can smell sulfur up there!  She's active!

Bus to L.A.  Ugh.  I-5.  About the only thing I can think of noteworthy that
you'll see is Mt. Shasta just after the OR border if the wx is clear enough,
and watch for birds flying around the Sacramento/Central Valley farms &
wetlands.  I-5 is NOT the beautiful drive that the 101 Coast Highway is.

Hawaii: Which island?  Think tank top, shorts, zoris, and maybe one nice
subdued Hawaiian shirt for "dress" in the evenings.

That's a lot of kit, especially for the hot, sunny days in Hawaii.  I'd
reduce it to one walkaround lens, myself.  Leave the rest locked up
somewhere.

The cruise from Hawaii... wow... you lucky dog.  DEFINITELY get up for
sunrise at sea if you can, and watch for the green flash at sunset.  If the
ship is dark enough at night, or you can find a dark spot somewhere out on
deck (probably forward of the bridge), the stars will knock your socks off!

Sigh...

Congratulations on getting married!

Rich