[OM] Mike Johnson's opinion on the Zuiko 35/2

Subject: [OM] Mike Johnson's opinion on the Zuiko 35/2
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:08:43 -0800
Mike Johnson, who praises our beloved 50/2 thusly in http://luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-09-22.shtml:

"Here's one lens that's utterly forgotten yet absolutely magnificent: the Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/2 Macro. You can use it as a normal lens and I promise you, you will never use a better 50mm. No matter what name is engraved on the barrel."

He has this to say about Zuiko 35/2, in his printed newsletter, the 37th frame. I won't copy it verbatim since a) I am too lazy to scan and OCR it, and b) it is copyrighted:

... it has relatively complex cross section with a large, steeply convex outermost element... The old 35/3 is decently coated and makes a brave go at controlling flare, albeit sometimes with imperfect success.... Also, like many Zuikos, it gets flustered at small apertures, throwing in the towel to diffraction effects and letting its image quality go pretty much to hell. This can happen at f/11 in unpropitious circumstances, and it frequently happens at f/16. Despite this, the lens has a certain indefinable quality that is hard to deny. It's quite sharp at most apertures, and seems to have a way w/ contrast and tonal reproduction that can give its results, especially in B&W, a seductive quality...

<Mike, if you read this, don't get mad at me. Others, go support Mike at www.37thframe.com>