Re: [OM] XA questions

Subject: Re: [OM] XA questions
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:48:50 -0800
on 10/27/02 5:57 AM, Trevor Urlwin at trevorupsd@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have just decided to get get better acquainted with my Olympus XA.  I have
> had it for some time, but have used it very little.  There are a few questions
> that I would appreciate some help with.

Wonderful cameras, something of an obsession with me...

> Can someone tell me why the F5.6 numbers on my Olympus XA are coloured orange
> and all the rest of the f stops are coloured white?

Set to f5.6 and focust at about 10 feet and you can 'point and shoot', it is
a good aperture for snapshot use without bothering with the rangefinder.

> How and when should I use the 100, full and 400 switch on the A11 flash?

Set to 100 when using film of 200 or slower, set to 400 for faster films.
Use "Full" if you want to figure the aperture setting manually, i.e. with a
(very small) guide number. The shutter speed sets to 1/30 when flash is
turned on.

> What aperture does the camera select when I am using flash?

Aperture is set to f4 when flash is selected.

> There is very little movement required to change the focus from, say, 5 metres
> to infinity.  Does this mean that there is a large depth of field, or is that
> relatively fixed for each focal length of lens, and therefore this 35 mm lens
> would have similar depth of field characteristics to an OM Zuiko at the same
> aperture?

The XA lens is "internal focusing" so there is little movement for focusing.
The second or third element inside moves back and forth, you can sometimes
see a change in the magnification of the aperture blades as you move the
focus lever. I think the depth of field is similar to the OM 35mm lenses at
any given focus and aperture combination.

> Is there an manual somewhere on the internet tha I can access.

Don't know, I think there is, but I can't recall where I might have seen it.
There is a great XA page at <http://www.diaxa.com/xa/xastart.htm> which can
help with the basics (and more...).

> Hope someone can help.

Glad to, but watch out, soon you'll want one of each model and in each
color...

--

Jim Brokaw

and a few XA's... more or less... and some XA-2's and XA-3's, but no XA-4's
(yet...)